If you’ve ever been to Spain you know that Tortilla Española, or Tortilla de Patatas (basically: A Spanish Omellette) is one of the most common dishes in Spain served as a tapa, as lunch, as dinner, as a sandwich, hot, cold, you name it, and Tortilla de Patatas can do it!
The origen of tortilla is riddled with myths. Some say it is the end result of some very creative cooking during a time in Spain when resources were scarce. Others say that during the siege of Bilbao, the Carlist Army´s leader Tomás de Zumalacárregui happened across a farmhouse and demanded a meal from the family. All the wife could find were some eggs, potato, and an onion — and thus the Tortilla Española was born! All we know is that regardless of where it came from, we´re more than happy to enjoy it in modern day Spain, and some countries in South America.
The ingredients list is very simple (makes one Tortilla, serves 6-8 servings):
- (6-8) 3lb Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and cut into medium-sized squares)
- (2) cups of olive oil
- (10) large eggs (beaten)
- (2) teaspoons of salt (more can be added for taste)
- Salt the peeled potatoes (leaving the potatoes to sit in the salt for 30 minutes adds flavor)
- In a large frying pan add the 2 cups of oil and bring it to a high enough temperature to fry. (Medium- high heat)
- Fry the potatoes until golden. It is better to leave them slightly undercooked, as this will make the overall Tortilla more moist. Potatoes should almost be boiled in the oil. They will cook further with the eggs.
- Drain potatoes.
- Take beaten eggs and add to potatoes in large frying pan with small amount of olive oil coating the pan.
- Cook on low heat for 15 minutes until you see it turning golden. Do not overcook as it will dry up the Tortilla.
- Once the bottom half is cooked, flip the tortilla with the help of a plate on top of the frying pan.
- Cook the remaining half of the Tortilla (less than 10 minutes).
- Serve (cut in triangles similar to a pizza).
Many people add onions, chives, chorizo, peppers, beans, asparagus, etc. to their Tortilla. What ingredients make up your favorite Tortilla recipe?
Typically served with Tomate Frito, Mayo, or Ketchup.